First published in
Mental health information blog
Arima is a brand name of Moclobemide. It is prescribed for depression and social anxiety disorder. It acts via inhibiting Mono amine oxidase enzyme present in certain areas of the body. This causes accumulation of mono amines (serotonin, Noradrenealin and dopamine). Increased levels of above mono amines results in neuronal changes that ultimately treats depression and social anxiety disorder.
Common side effects of Arima (Moclobemide)
1. Insomnia, dizziness, agitation, anxiety, restlessness
2. Dry mouth, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting
3. Abnormal milk secretion from the breasts
4. Rarely hypertension
Dangerous side effects
1. Hypertensive crisis (especially when Arima is used with certain tyramine containing foods (Cheese and wine) - risk is less compared to irreversible MAOIs such as Phenelzine (Nardil))
2. Induction of mania in susceptible people (patients with underlying bipolar disorder)
3. Rarely activation of suicidal ideation and behavior (suicidality)
4. Seizures or fits
Weight gain and sedation are minimal with Ariima (Moclobemide)
Trazadone can be used in Arima (Moclobemide) induced insomnia.
Absenor is a brand name of Sodium Valproate. It is prescribed in various mental health problems such as,
1. Bipolar affective disorder with mania and mixed episodes.
2. Complex partial seizures that occur either in isolation or in association with other types of seizures.
3. Simple and complex absence seizures.
4. Other seizure types
6. Maintenance treatment of bipolar disorder
7. Bipolar depression
8. Psychosis, schizophrenia
Common Side Effects of Absenor
1. Sedation, tremor, dizziness, abnormal movements and headache
2. Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, reduced appetite, constipation, heart burn and weight gain
3. Loss of hair and curly regrowth
4. Polycystic ovaries (controversial)
5. Increased androgens, increased insulin levels leading lower blood sugar, lipid abnormalities (controversial)
6. Decreased bone mineral density (controversial)
Life Threatening or Dangerous Side Effects of Absenor
1. Rarely Liver toxicity with liver failure. Sometimes liver failure can become severe and fatal, particularly in children under 2 years.
2. Rarely pancreatitis, sometimes fatal
Weight Gain associated with Absenor
1. Many people experience weight gain
2. Can become a health problem in some people
3. Can be controlled by adhering to proper dietary advice and following a weight reduction program.
1. Sedation is Frequent and can be significant.
2. Some patients may not tolerate it
3. Usually goes off over time
4. Can reemerge as dose increases and then wear off again over time
5. Not recommend to drive vehicles or operate machinery until you know how Absenor acts on your body.
How to manage side effects of Absenor
Following advices must be followed after seeing your doctor.
1. Take at night to reduce daytime sedation
2. Switch to long acting preparation
3. Lower the dose
4. Switch to another agent
5. Propranolol 20–30 mg 2–3 times/day may reduce tremor
6. Multivitamins fortified with zinc and selenium may help reduce alopecia